Telehealth visits let you meet with your doctor using your computer, tablet or smartphone. You’ll talk with one another, just like you would at an office visit. Your doctor will tell you what to do next. If you need a prescription, it will be sent to your pharmacy.
Setting up a visit is easy
Call your doctor’s office to find out what’s available to you.
Prepare for your visit:
- Write down a list of your symptoms and concerns; be specific.
- Practice what you want to say. That way, you won’t leave anything out.
- Make a list of all medications that you currently take, prescription and non-prescription.
- Decide if you’d like to have a friend or family member with you during the visit.
- Make sure your technology works. If you don’t have a computer, tablet or smartphone, ask a family member to help.
Find a quiet space:
- Before the video visit, turn off background noise, such as TVs, radios and smart speakers.
- Ask others in your home to keep the noise level down.
- Give yourself 10 to 15 minutes before the visit to collect your thoughts.
- For privacy, wear headphones or earbuds.
Tell your doctor everything:
- Summarize your condition, list all symptoms and explain your concerns.
- Talk about any changes in your medical history. If you’ve had major life changes, share that information as well.
- Provide any vital signs that you can, such as blood pressure, pulse and temperature.
Agree on a treatment plan:
- After your doctor tells you something, repeat it back in your own words.
- Take notes and ask questions. For example, what are the risks and benefits of treatment? Are there other ways to treat this? Will insurance pay? Will I need medication?
- Agree on the treatment plan and any needed tests and/or medications.
- Ask about follow-up visits and resources that might be helpful.
National Council of Aging
The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be medical advice or a substitute for professional health care. You should consult an appropriate health care professional for your specific needs.